Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wageningen 2009

Wageningen, The Netherlands: June 30 - September 5, 2009

I am continuing my MARIN (Maritime Research Institute of the Netherlands) internship at their main campus, where most of the model basins are located and the majority of their employees work. Wageningen is a small town about an hour south of Amsterdam by train. There's an agricultural university here, too, but the students were mostly gone for the summer by the time I arrived.

A little geography as a start! The red "A" bubble shows Wageningen. Ede, just east of here, is where the shared Ede-Wageningen train station is located.


I live on the outskirts of town. It's only about a kilometer to get to work and the center of town is approximately another kilometer down the road.

This is the street sign for my street.



And this is where I live - the open window (blue) on the second story is my room.



It's nice to be able to walk out into farm country and to bike down the lovely paths along the fields. I was lucky enough to have a coworker lend me his wife's old bike, which is a sturdy and fairly typical Dutch bike. This is the edge of the neighborhood.



My bike along the path near my house.


Paths like this are one of my favorite sights here: there are huge trees providing shade, but you can also look out onto the fields and all the flat land. The paths seem pretty narrow when cars go by, but that's fairly rare.



The sunset over the fields is often amazing, but hard to capture in a picture. The sky feels huge here.



In addition to the farm lands where I spend a lot of free time, there is, of course, the city center! It has a nice European feel. Typical architecture in town.



Another building in town.



The old windmill. It's not really operational, but apparently they sell flour and organic foods on market days.



This is where I work! I can't take pictures at work, so the outside of the building is all I can show...



This is technically in Benekom, just up the road on the way to the train station in Ede. It's a bee house.



Though Wageningen doesn't have a bridge to get across the river, we do have a car ferry, which features as an attraction on many postcards.



A couple pictures from celebrating Xavier's birthday after work. Here are Thierry and Jule.



Jérome and François.



Janis, Romain, and Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment