Arnhem: July 26, 2009
Arnhem is the nearest city to Wageningen, so I took advantage of a sunny afternoon for a bicycle ride over there and a visit. It's about 22 km to get there, but of course it's pretty flat!
The roads took me through some forested areas - it was funny to be surprised by seeing so many trees, I guess I've gotten used to fields.
Another view on the bike ride to Arnhem.
There are a couple of beautiful old churches, both of which were rebuilt after World War II, I believe.
I happened upon a fair, which seemed to be a rally for the Arnhem soccer team, the Vitesse. I thought the little guy in the jersey was pretty funny, he was very excited and his mother had to keep chasing after him. I managed this picture just before he took off running again...
There was a little park, a nice place to sit and read for a while. I'm not sure what the blue structure in the middle of the pond is, though!
I went back to the river where I had left my bike and this boat caught my eye. I also climbed up on the famous (rebuilt) "bridge too far" from the Battle of Arnhem.
This is a view of the bridge from the small memorial park.
There is also a big park in the city, which was well-used on the nice afternoon and quite pretty.
Another view from Sonsbeek Park, there's a cow pasture adjacent to the park, and you can still see high rise apartments.
Another view of trees on the ride home! Red lanes are bicycle lanes. I did manage to take a wrong turn on the way home (which is impressive given that all I needed to do was go straight west, basically) and climbed the only "hill" twice! It felt good to go uphill, though my legs were a bit tired from all the walking in Amsterdam the previous day.











No comments:
Post a Comment