Nederlands Openluchtmuseum, Arnhem: August 15, 2009
I went to Arnhem on a Saturday afternoon to see the open air museum, it was a pretty neat place! It's set up with houses, barns, windmills, and other workshops from different parts of the country and different time periods. You can walk between the different areas or take the old-fashioned tram around the museum. The funniest thing for me was that there are some things that really didn't seem all that historical, or at least haven't disappeared.
A typical older barn.
This is the big windmill, very majestic and still in use.
You can go inside the windmill and see it at work. I was amazed by how huge the machinery is. It's too bad that this photo doesn't give much sense of scale.
Another fun building was the old "green cross" building - the hospital. There were a number of funny old signs, this one has all the keys to good health! I'm not sure how to translate every word, but I think it starts with
I don't ever want to be a greasy cat! Therefore
- I must wash my hands well before eating...
I found a new eye chart for Dad at the hospital!
An old barn. On the left, there's a woman in costume doing needlework. If you look closely at the door, you'll see a wooden shoe with flowers, too.
The brewery (still functional and with free samples, naturally), also included an old bar, replete with the "hup Holland hup" banner for soccer games.
More old houses - I'm kind of convinced these could still be in my neighborhood, though!
This is inside an old Dutch Reform church. "God is Love" is written above the altar. This is very similar to the church in the center of Wageningen, actually, though a bit smaller! In the old days, men and women sat on opposite sides. There is an organ in the church, but it's a later addition, the traditional church frowned on music during the service.
Another farm/polder, and a small windmill.
The milkman's bike!
Cheese! Again, this could just as easily be in Wageningen. I think I'll miss the cheese when I go home...
Zus & Jet serves as giftshop and a traditional store. I walked in and poked around a little, but the best part was the smell of their incredible tea selection.
Traditional sailboat. The old Dutch boats didn't have deep keels, so they have the side fins for stability in roll.
The old shipyard.
One of many beautiful plates in the fisherman's cottage.
More of the fisherman's cottage. It was a tiny little building and seemed to be off the beaten track, but everything inside was incredibly pretty and detailed.
View of the mini-harbor, with, of course, another windmill! There's also a little fishing skiff in the water. They also had a tow raft - a couple kids were having a great time pulling themselves across the water, it was fun to watch.
Breakfast! I think this is just one of the farmhouses.
And here is the apiary, another combination exhibit and working beekeeper's cottage.
And one last picture, showing the toll bridge (foreground) and one of the windmills.





















No comments:
Post a Comment