I did some touristy things over the weekend before going to Alaska. This is Pike Place Market, which wasn’t all that exciting to me, except that they did have some excellent ice cream.
The Space Needle, a Seattle landmark, of course…
Seattle Center on a misty day was very relaxing. Neat gardens, cultural institutions, and not too many people – all in all, quite enjoyable.
I really realized how cool of a city Seattle is when I saw a really steep street, an artsy rainwater collector, water, and a ship – all at the same time.

One of my early adventures on the fantastic mountain bike (generously on loan to me from a coworker) was a ride around Lake Washington with Koby. We didn’t actually end up going all the way around – we went north first, and then cut across Mercer Island on the way back because we decided that swimming in the lake was more important than getting all the way around it. This is the view of Seattle from Mercer Island. Amazingly, if you look in the other direction, you see mountains:
At the Folk Festival – playing in the fountain. And we biked there!
I went to my first baseball game. Unfortunately, the Tigers didn’t really hold up their end of the bargain and got nastily beaten. Fortunately, it started raining mid-game, so I got to witness the roof closing.
(Dork interlude) Vortices next to the ferry! Aren’t they beautiful? I went to Poulsbo to visit the parents of a classmate. It was great – cool people, beautiful house and scenery, kayaking…
Kayaking with Mrs. Osborn in the Puget Sound.
Seattle as seen from the Bainbridge Island ferry on the way home from Poulsbo.
On another beautiful day, Sam and I decided to bike the Chilly Hilly route on Bainbridge Island. We didn’t really experience Chilly as much as Hilly, which probably made it a more enjoyable experience. The island is beautiful, the route is challenging but doable, and we lucked out with the weather.
We were happy to get to the top of the last hill! And this picture shows how big that bike was for me…
Sam, with the ferry in the background. He was a good sport, putting up with me!
Koby, Nick, and Sam – again being good sports, coerced into riding around Lake Washington. We got sidetracked at the same beach (and by a few flat tires), but had a marvelous time.
I know, this is Washington, D.C. But a few pictures of fellow Hollings Scholars are in order, I think. This is Alex.
Jared (standing) and David.
Jeremy, Katya, Maria, Caroline, Jared, and Priya.
In addition to the other posted series (Dutch Harbor, Big Creek, the Olympics), some unphotographed adventures included various visits to the city (and library), hanging out with the Hollings crowd, bicycling to Portland, swimming across Green Lake, Frisbee games, rowing, sailing, working, watching the moon rise over Lake Washington, watching lighting storms, fireworks, bicycling adventures in all directions, and so many more memories…



















No comments:
Post a Comment